Yarny Thought of the Day

Detangling some cashmere blend yarn for a friend was a mistake. I wanntsssess it! My preciousssss!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Web 2.0 Facebook, the Giant ! (?)

As part of NetTrek training, I took a good look at the Web 2.0 Awards. Wow, what a variety! I thought about looking at Cocktail Builder from the Fun Stuff category, but then remembered... I have no liquor cabinet. What else is on this list?

Twitter... oh save me. I will not tweet. Or be a tweet. Or however the Twitter lingo goes. Can I just call them all birdbrains?
Yahoo Answers... I used to spend a lot of time there, before I realized you could really make a job of just trying to correct the idiotic things people say. It just shows that some Web 2.0 things, like wikipedia, aren't always reliable no matter how many people participate.

Oh, there, look in Social Networking Mainstays! It's Facebook! Wow, it's only in one category? What's happening to the website I visit for at least an hour each day? I do believe it may have jumped the shark. Really, you say? But, it has so many users, so much to do! I've got some reasons, and I'm not happy about all of them.

1. Too big for its own good. Facebook was cool when it was focused on connecting college students. But when everybody piles on the bandwagon, it loses some of the draw for the fringe folks that make it so cool.
2. So much to do, it loses focus. Wow, look, I can play games! Okay, so they're called apps, but still they're just games. Hmm, my cousin wants to chat, I suppose I could do that for a while. Ooh, my friends want to see pictures and videos! But, couldn't I just send them to YouTube or Flickr for that? News articles! Great, I can read up on today's events! Right after I play yet another app...
3. Removal of regional groups. The Internet is anonymous enough as it is. You feel isolated because of distance. You like Facebook because it tells you who is close to you! And now they've sort of taken that away. It makes the site just more like so many other places on the Internet. Sure, it may be what people ask for, but maybe it's not best for them (or Facebook) in the long run. It was the logical extension of the school groups which got the site going, and is another example of the loss of focus.
4. Other options popping up. Facebook gave us Status Updates, Twitter does it better (so some say). Facebook lets you search by job category, but perhaps the fact that the Web 2.0 Awards has a category called "Professional Networking" shows us that a more focused site could do better anyway.

I'll still go on Facebook, until I burn out on it. But that may be sooner than later, since I'm pretty sure this networking giant is on the wane.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad they didn't have Ravelry listed. And just why wasn't there a Web 2.0 Award for the Fiber Arts?!?!?

    =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit something: I am a Facebook junkie. I get on right after I wake up, and again before I go to bed, and several times in between. I just can't help myself!! There is sooo much to do...so many games (oops, apps) to play...so many people to visit. It is extremely addictive. I got my daughter to sign up, and now she is becoming addicted. I AM SUCH A BAD MOTHER. ;-)LOL:-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you about Yahoo Answers. I can't stand to look at it any more. I think of it as the site to go to if you want misinformation.
    Q: "I have a medical question...I have this funny growth..."
    A: "My dad had one of those once. Sounds like the same thing. He burned it off with a welding torch..."
    If I'm exaggerating, it's not by much.

    ReplyDelete