Yarny Thought of the Day

Detangling some cashmere blend yarn for a friend was a mistake. I wanntsssess it! My preciousssss!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

RSS reluctance

So, I must admit, I've heard about RSS feeds long before this. And completely dismissed them as not worth my time (who knows, someday there might be hope for Twitter.... naaah.). But the NetTrek unit on them really has made me see it might save my time online! And maybe I won't have a gazillion tabs open as I check for new stuff.

From what I know about websites, it probably helps the site owners too. Rather than hitting their server full-force twice (or more) a day, I just check my feeds and only click there if there's new content. Sure, I'm still figuring out where to read the feed, but hey, it's a start.

What did I choose? Well, it's not all entirely library-related, that's for sure. I've been reading Giant In The Playground's webcomic "Order of the Stick" for years. It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's a Dungeons & Dragons-related comic, spoofing the players through their characters. Definitely in the Me category. Then there's the Yarn Harlot's blog! Knitting and fiber-related, obviously. She's also an author, though! If you really want to understand my new obsession (and probably laugh a lot even if you're not a knitter), check out one of her books called "Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off". It's just a riot, especially if you are/know a knitter.

The more focused feeds I chose are some suggested on the NetTrek Outpost. Awful Library Books sounds fun, and Information Wants to be Free seems relevant. I think Librarian in Blackmight be a mix of that. It's always good to mix useful with humorous.

On the knitting front, I have until tomorrow night to finish my mittens in the time frame I set for myself. Warrrrm mittens...

No comments:

Post a Comment